Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Slow-Bake...No-Bake....?

....or Turn-On-The-Oven-and-Bake???

A day late, and a few degrees short....that's how today has panned out. 

Arriving back to the 'arctic chill'
(or so it seems to those who have spend the last 4 days basking in the 'sunny & 80's') has proven to be more of a shock than I imagined. 
My initial thought as I left the sunny elevation, passed through the thick blanket of clouds, and then descended into gray skies and dirty cars.....How bad could it be?  I mean really, I was just here four days ago, changing diapers, begging for a quiet naptime, and planning my 'day late' Valentine's Day treats. 
Four days, typically, doesn't bring about much of a difference from one day to the next in this household. 

Unless, of course, you have been kidless, snowless, carefree, and drinking wine among palms. 
I missed my kids & hubby like crazy....
But definitely could've used a day to unwind from my unwinding!

And those 'day late' Valentine's Day treats....yeah....that was the moment when I realized my mind was still somewhere between here and Phoenix. 
Trying to accomplish some treat-baking during naptime, I, like usual, overbaked my first batch of V-day treats.  Quickly and again, like usual, I switched off the oven and grabbed the cupcakes before they turned any darker shade of brown.
Batch #2 then went in.  I kept setting the timer for a few minutes and would check....and check.....and check again....and recheck....and couldn't figure out why these cookies were still not done.  
(Don't worry, it's not like this checking...rechecking....went on for an hour...
....it was only about 35 minutes)

Lesson:  Plan a day of unwinding after any type of vacation before returning to the 'full' duties of mommyhood.......
...and make sure the oven's on. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment